- Larts: 6 Things Sega Rally Reveals After Playing Obsessively for Two Months What a beaut, why does lakeside suck ass, is it out unwillingness to master?
- Larts: Rhythm City Challenges Our Spelling As Well As Our Conceptions of How To Engage with Music and Culture List recent comments from the main menu works now too
- Larts: Tomb Raider tomfoolery abound! Damn those fake newsers
- Larts: Sega Rally Shenanigans at GRiG Towers Actually it was 3:18:09 and a 3:18:28 but I didn’t bother showing as 3:17 is the goal
- bedgell: Tomb Raider tomfoolery abound! Notable that though tomb raiders is also about other people’s adventures it has an even more prominent Lara Croft bum on the front cover… subtle!!
- Dibbs Ahoy: Rhythm City Challenges Our Spelling As Well As Our Conceptions of How To Engage with Music and Culture Oh now it’s letting me leave comments too! The good ship Grig sails again!
- bedgell: Vega To Join Street Fighter 6 in Super Smackdown Shocker! Fixed it did ya?!?
- bedgell: Rhythm City Challenges Our Spelling As Well As Our Conceptions of How To Engage with Music and Culture I was wrong
- bedgell: Rhythm City Challenges Our Spelling As Well As Our Conceptions of How To Engage with Music and Culture I don’t think it’ll let me post again
- Numbnuts: Rhythm City Challenges Our Spelling As Well As Our Conceptions of How To Engage with Music and Culture It works!! You cracked it!!!
- larts: New Warning for Retro CRT Fans there right here dude what yo talking about
- larts: Rhythm City Challenges Our Spelling As Well As Our Conceptions of How To Engage with Music and Culture hey we're all trying to post a comment
- bedgell: Rhythm City Challenges Our Spelling As Well As Our Conceptions of How To Engage with Music and Culture Will it let me post a comment?! Let’s have a go!
- Larte: Vega To Join Street Fighter 6 in Super Smackdown Shocker! What do you mean no comment
- bedgell: New Warning for Retro CRT Fans Y'know, it always says there are comments and I can't see them... will i see this i wonder?!?!
- Dibbs Ahoy: New Warning for Retro CRT Fans It’s a darn shame if you have to give up this beast, but they are pretty chunky for sure! Must’ve been a nightmare moving it. One of the times I realised my back was really screwed was after moving a CRT from my loft, it was one of the last things I did that really tipped it over the edge! Still the Saturn looks great on it so hopefully you can enjoy it momentarily. And if nothing else, it’s inspired some Grig activity, whoop whoop!
- bedgell: Sega Rally Shenanigans at GRiG Towers by the way, jackass reckons he's beat his 3'18'37 on his own machine but we ain't seen no photos so sounds like baloney to us
- Billy Bob: Hatching Change: A Closer Look This is the best damn journalism I ever did see
- Dibbs Ahoy: So near, and yet so far… You mean the Teri pics aren’t showing up? Da Grig?
- Benjamungus: So near, and yet so far… Oof what beaut and yet what torture at the same time! Because I can’t see that dang Hatcher pics!!
- PanzerDragoonWorld: About Hello Guys,
You should have a look at my campaign for a new rebooted open world ARPG Panzer Dragoon !
Follow us on Twitter, the creator Yukio Futatsugi started following us, so he listens and we need to make noise around it !
Also sign my petition here http://panzerdragoonworld.com
You can also find me on social networks: Facebook, Instagram but I am mostly active on Twitter.
- bedgell: My first via ferrata Kandersteg Allmenalp Duuuuuuude that is hwality - I thought you were just gonna wander the city and eat some raclette. I didn't realise you were planning to go all mission impossible on our collective asses?!! Good tunes too...
- bedgell: The Loooooong Contained... Yeah this is a good call - I need to get me a list of hwality numbers and go shopping. My little retro shop down the road has loads and a I tend to ignore them but you're right, let's get em while they're cheap....
- Dibbs: The Loooooong Contained... Good save dude, good save.
Completely off topic - what a grand time it is for grabbing Xbox 360 games. I'm starting to feel like we're at that point where nobody wants the games and you can just pick them up for a couple of quid and they're still everywhere so you're not just trawling exclusively through different years of FIFA versions. I'm tempted to preempt my future selfs retro needs by making sure that I have a decent stock by grabbing this stuff now. Like I just picked up 3 decent games for just over a fiver the other week. Course I can never second guess what I'll be into successfully though and I'll prob shoot for stuff like cheap Skyrims when really 46 year old me will proble be hungerin' for Barbies Kinect fashion bonanza.
I don't think that game actually exists. But it definitely sounds like the kind of thing I'd be into.
- bedgell: Oculus Rift, it came, it went, I'm going to Switzerland Ooh that would be cool - when you going in June?
- lartens: Oculus Rift, it came, it went, I'm going to Switzerland The sale of the rift is paying for a Switzerland trip on June. Geneva to lautterbrunnen to zurich. Want to come?
- ben: Oculus Rift, it came, it went, I'm going to Switzerland Wait - what was the going to Switzerland reference about?!
- bedgell: Oculus Rift, it came, it went, I'm going to Switzerland Man, I realise how lazy I've become. If I can't do something from my phone, I now basically don't do it. I got me a couple of stories to publish but I need the laptop version of Wordpress so I just can't be arsed... So thank god for night and a disappointing VR experience for saving our April!! I tell ya tho, if you sell something for hundreds of quid it's gotta be amazing. Not "its nearly great but just not there" - that's 200 quid territory... I think we're at least 5 years from me caring about VR. First perfect it, then get some games, then put it on a platform I stand a chance of owning... Minimum: 5 years...
- lartens: Everybody's Looking For That Soooooooooomething... My two cents from an avid NES user back in the day is one of the most overlooked Zelda game and that's Zelda II the adventure of link, the palace theme music just gets me
And then there's the overworld
I wonder if this is a nostalgia thing as I loved zelda 2, or weather it is a good tune, I mean the mario land one you posted was good and I only played it once maybe.
Speaking of Mario how about the cheeky little number from the western Mario 2
- lartens: Woah, the Vive is how much! Yeah this is the thing, I mean it's early days, and to think developers started making rift games like four years ago when the kickstarter happened, I mean doom bfg edition was suppose to be free to backers and have rift support, I don't know if it did, but there's a new Doom coming out it was so long ago. But once people have VR and there's a market for the games to have that functionality then they'll come, but do all games need it? I've recently started playing Skyrim again as I wasn't that far into it on the xbox or PC, and there is a mod that you can use and 3rd part software to make it display like a rift, I'm not sure if I'll install all that though just to be immersed, I mean it's still a great game on a 2d screen.
I see there's a fork of the Dolphin emulator to play Game Cube and wii games, and I think I saw something about a nes emulator doing something similar, but again, is it necessary.
Xbox one is going to be compatible through a Win 10 PC but that's suppose to be like sitting in a theatre watching it on a big screen rather than immersion, which is kind of the whole point of VR, that said, you never know if I'll end up watching movies on it as my primary device lol
I think it all comes down to Minecraft, as everyone who experienced it with the Rift recently loved it. So a £1000 PC and a £500 Rift (not that I paid that) is a fair chunk of money for Minecraft lol. At least I needed a future proofed beefed up PC.
Which reminds me, today's task is put the model 2 and 3 emulators on it
- bedgell: Woah, the Vive is how much! at the minute to me, this IS looking different from attempts to launch VR in the past - but it still doesn't look a dead cert. What's different appears to be the tech as it seems the hardware is actually decent. not just the headsets, which are clearly better than any of the massive contraptions or poor res stuff of the past, but obviously also the processing power that means the games are actually worth looking at. i read some thing on the Oculus site saying the headset has to produce two thousand by thousand frames, HD at 90 frames per second. that's hardcore.
buuuuuut... the bit that's missing does seem the games. i mean, there are some decent looking ones there and all but... what you really need is for it to just be compatible with, well, everything. speciality tech just has a horrible history where it's inaccessible...
still very tempted though.
- lartens: It's Gurn-a Be A Hot One, Mother son of a mother, what did you do
I've update your post, seems to have fixed it, I think it's a permalink thing, the post name was its datarow id so I've changed it in the db.
- Dibbs: Everybody's Looking For That Soooooooooomething... Finally, some commenting action! What's weird is that it now says there's a comment on the last post but it still says not found. What the?!!!
Anyway, here are the musings I was going to post. Luckily I write my comments in my notes before posting them so I don't accidentally knock some other button and lose my excessive scribblings which I've done before and nearly thrown my phone:
Ok, so without too much thought, here's a few off the top of my head. Sonic CD - euro/Japanese soundtrack obvs, although the US one is okish too. Thats's standard. As is Nights, although I always particularly liked the Soft Museum music, standard version without any level condition alterations. Sega Rally Saturn version with Joe Satriani tearing it up on guitar. A massive improvement over the arcade. Shun Di's theme VF2, and VR Temjin's theme (into the blue I think it's called) from Virtual On.
Pretty much everything from Gunstar Heroes - and somebody's done a really cool guitar medley of it all on YouTube too. Sakura theme Alpha 2, Guile theme SFIV, E.Honda theme SFIV. SF2 end music. The Shantae games also have some of the best soundtracks I've heard too, particularly in recent times.
Oh, and look up Revenge of Shinobi's Chinatown mixed with Michael Jacksons Beat It on YouTube. So many people do stuff like this and it always sucks, but this one is really good.
- bedgell: Consumer Oculus Rift confirmed 499 GBP so wait, what can you actually DO with the oculus rift? sounds stupid in a way, but try this: with a console and a telly, i can play games. what do you put with an oculus rift to play games?! and assuming it's a console or PC, is it only limited titles that play? and do you only have limited actions you can do?!
wait... you've got one of these haven't you?! didn't you get an early version of it or something?!
- bedgell: It's Gurn-a Be A Hot One, Mother i don't know what y'all moaning about! look at this here comment!
- bedgell: Consumer Oculus Rift confirmed 499 GBP Complete load of suck? That'll do!
- Dibbs: Consumer Oculus Rift confirmed 499 GBP Jacksie! Well, that's a beastly price tag to start. i was wondering how crazy these things were gonna be cost wise. I guess I'll see VR in 20 years or so!
As for Night Trap, I've spent literally an entire day on the vid so far... and it sucks. Pretty much up to the standards of my channel, but I think I can get more out of it so I'm taking time to think how best to do it. Can't let it defeat me though, it will emerge!
- bedgell: Consumer Oculus Rift confirmed 499 GBP GRiG
- bedgell: Consumer Oculus Rift confirmed 499 GBP Ps well played to my iPhone that seems to have learned to spell check GRiG towers and automatically do the capitals in GRiG. Except this time it didnt. Piece of freakin buh
- bedgell: Consumer Oculus Rift confirmed 499 GBP Son of a freakin Jim - a post from lartens! 2016 truly is already a year of wonders! Oh and the oculus price is also quite shocking... Hehe. Is yours gonna be the retail model then? Cos don't you already have one?! Do you mean you get another one too?!
Speaking of posts from you two, I'd just like to confirm I'd be very excited to see the night trap post. No pressure of course. Time is hardly of the essence here at GRiG towers. But just in case you were thinking nah, I can't be arsed - just to confirm you've got a ready audience more excited than a Star Wars fan in a queue at comic con...
- Dibbs: Grig Orig at 5 I'm more concerned about why he has now, apparently, been inside a lamp when we've been banging on about him being locked up in GRiG Towers basement for the last three years. Nothing like a bit of Griggish-consistency. GRiG nerds far and wide are probably sifting through our posts as we speak trying to figure out what is canon and what was just pure buh.
Unless... there was more than one Grig the whole time... dum dum duuuuuuuummmmmm!
That one'll keep 'em busy for years.
- bedgell: Grig Orig at 5 I'm glad the Grig finally got his freedom. Though I heard that now he's free his powers will start to wane - meaning he'll struggle to defeat any other grigs if they return from the cave of wonders. Wait... Is that right?
- Dibbs: GRiG at 5! Mid-Term Report! Grigging The World. Put in its place yet again by the GRiG. Which reminds me to start calling the blog 'the GRiG' to differentiate it from the times I'm talking about our resident monster of iniquity 'The Grig'. It always concerned me that it may confuse any average-off-the-street-Joe-packer who might stumble upon our operation and boggle their buh. The rest of it obviously makes perfect sense.
- Dibbs: Grig Orig at 5 It's funny how tastes differ - that photo of the winged fiend was, funnily enough, my least favorite, ha ha!
- Dibbs: Grig Orig at 5 Darn, I see it's been a busy day here at Grig! This is actually the second time I've replied to this, but my thumb slipped on my phone and I lost what I'd written resulting in me feeling excessively grigged off, disappointed that I'd wasted my time, and like my day was ruined. In a way it was reassuring to know that an average trip to Grig Orig has lost nothing in those 5 years.
- lartens: GRiG at 5! Mid-Term Report! How does the match do it, that's amazing! Hehe
Man that was close, GRiG vs the world, but this victory might be our downfall, we must prevail with deterministic endevour of new top quality content. Flolla walla jim jam.
- Lartens: Grig Orig at 5 My favourite was the pidgeon with the caption 'some viewers may find this image offensive' of something along those lines haha. Nice work on the montage dude. We've had some really good times over the years
- Lartens: Hello world! Haha. No there was one correcting me on making wordpress validate html. But yeah tge rest were spam lol
- bedgell: Hello world! Is this our only ever comment from someone other than us? From the code itself? A pity comment?!?!
- bedgell: Grig Orig at 5 Hot griggedy gram! Five years huh? You know, as the age difference between me and some girl on a campsite, it doesn't seem that much - but in game journalism years it's an eternity. Or that's certainly what it feels like reading back through it... Ashasha I joke of course - clearly I'm never going to read back through it... Top quality video look back there punkass - my favourite bit, just as in real life, is seeing "no comments". Aaah memories... And I think... Yes, I think you've inspired a follow up article!